Yesterday the post-show blues threatened to rear their ugly heads. Creeping in slowly like a deadly fog they tried to smother all the wonderful memories of our amazing success and replace them with sadness. But this time I was ready for them. You see this time I had not forgotten my promise to myself to make the most of EVERY moment.
My journey has not ended because “Beauty” is over. Nor because I am no longer the “Belle” of the ball. It is now just another wonderful chapter of my time in this crazy little world. And there will be more moments. I am living in one of those moments right now.
It may not come as a huge surprise that I’ve always found the best way to lift my spirits is to choose the right soundtrack. Yesterday was no exception. The wrong music (like those wonderfully gut-wrenchingly sad musicals or hopeless ballads) only gives the post-show blues the food they need to take hold. But the right music can banish them for good.
So, as I drove home from work, I let the iPod shuffle its way through a wonderfully strange mixture of uplifting tunes. I would say that “the strangest thing happened”, but of course it wasn’t strange at all. The clouds lifted. The sun shone (metaphorically – actually the weather was pretty grey and miserable). I could think again about all those funny, scary, beautiful, touching, exciting moments of the week gone by with only a tinge of sadness. Without wanting to sound like a greasy CD in desperate need of a clean (ok, stuck record sounds so much better even if it is a bit old), I had yet another chance to live in THAT present moment – and live that moment I sure did.
Music is such a personal thing that I’m sure my iPod’s choices would not have worked for everyone. They wouldn’t necessarily work for me in other circumstances either, but these are some of those gloriously fun, lively and inspirational tunes that lifted me out of the pit and back to the land of the living and loving:
- Defying Gravity – Kerry Ellis (the rock version of the song from Wicked)
- Once Upon a December – Liz Callaway (from Anastasia)
- It’s Your Wedding Day – from The Wedding Singer (the Broadway version)
- Neverland – from Peter Pan the Musical (Stiles & Drewe)
- Call Me Irresponsible – Michael Bublé
- Omigod You Guys – from Legally Blonde (I mean, “hello!” – I love this show!)
- Broken Heels – Alexandra Burke
- Truly Scrumptious – from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
- Thank You, Stars – Katie Melua
- It Had Better Be Tonight – Michael Bublé
- Bring It On – Alistair Griffin (bring on the cheese!)
- Mama, I’m a Big Girl Now – from Hairspray
- Just Dance – Lady Gaga
- Rent – from Rent (nice)
And today? So far so good. And tomorrow? That’s another whole day away – I’m not worrying about that now. What a waste of today that would be!